EP-BED-ELT Executive Programme in English Language Teaching (MOOC)
Fee : RM 3,500
Be ready to excel as an English teacher who is resourceful, creative and innovative in managing the teaching and learning process in ESL
Be equipped with the best practices when you embark on your journey to tutor the English Language with SEGi University's Executive Programme in English Language Teaching. Within six months, learn how to analyse, curate content, design lesson plans and effective teaching methods that will propel up to become a successful English Language teacher. For more information about this programme, how you can claim for HRDF and attain an accredited degree with a 30% credit transfer via APEL C, please contact [email protected] or call +603-6145 1788.
This programme is designed to equip English teachers with the latest trends and approaches in education in ESL.
|Common Subjects||Specialized Subjects|
Introduction to Education : Educational Philosophy, History & Policies
- Demonstrate an understanding of various theoretical perspectives and policies, and how these compare, relate and are reflected in current contemporary educational contexts in terms of teaching and learning.
- Demonstrate the ability to inquire collaboratively on educational issues.
- Discuss the ethical implications of education theory and its relation to practice.
- Apply theoretical and practical understanding of the early stages of the construction of a personal philosophy of education and of their role as future educators.
- Analyse the application of educational theories, ideas, policies and influences to our education system today.
Communication and Thinking Skills
Communication and thinking skills are essential soft skills required for success in any chosen career. For Teacher Trainees, these skills are even more crucial as they are in the frontline of molding and influencing future generations. Teachers are role models in exemplifying these skills as well as inculcating them into their students.
- State the principles and nature of effective interpersonal communication.
- Describe the various strategies in resolving and managing interpersonal conflicts.
- Discuss problems and issues presented in the classroom using creative and critical thinking strategies.
- Evaluate critically samples of reading, listening and viewing materials provided.
- Demonstrate the ability to write and present effectively based on given topic.
Pedagogy & Diversity
This course aims to develop educators to embrace children, young people and adults who are being forced to change due to influences such as globalization, the increased social and cultural diversity, and change in patterns of wealth and explosion of knowledge demands from educational contexts.
- Define and discuss the diverse backgrounds of students and the implications for teaching and learning in all contexts.
- Demonstrate the ability to develop, modify and implement an inclusive curriculum to meet the specific needs of the individual learners and of groups of learners.
- Critically reflect on issues that relate to diversity and inclusive education through research online and databases.
Technology in Education
This course aims to equip students with the basic knowledge and skills to integrate effectively various technology and media into the teaching and learning process. An overview of the various theories of educational technology, media commonly used and the selection of suitable media in the classroom is discussed, together with their advantages and limitations. Students will be given hands-on experience in producing visual, audio, video and computer-aided instructional materials as well as to demonstrate how they can be integrated into the teaching and learning process. Current and future trends in using instructional technology and media for learning are also discussed.
- Describe the types of technology and media used in teaching and learning.
- Demonstrate the basic skills in producing visual, audio, video and computer-aided instructional materials in the classroom.
- Identify appropriate electronic and non-electronic materials for effective teaching and learning in the classroom.
- Demonstrate competency in integrating visual, audio, video and computer technology into the teaching-learning process.
- Explain the role of distance education and online learning in education today.
- Discuss the current and future trends in the use of technology and media in teaching and learning.
English Phonetics and Phonology
Teachers of English as a second language (ESL) should have knowledge of the sounds and sound systems of English in order to be more effective in the classroom.
- Overview of Speech Production
- Introduction to Phonetic Transcription
- English Phonetics: Consonants (i) & (ii)
- English Phonetics: Vowels (i)
- English Phonetics: Vowels (ii)
- The Phoneme Principle
- English Phonemes
- English Syllable Structure
- English Word Stress
- The Rhythm of English and Connected Speech and Intonation
- Variation in English Accent
Approaches to Teaching English as a Second Language
The Teaching of English as a Second Language (TESL) is not only an important area in the local context but also in the global education scene.
- Introduction to Course and Theories to Explaining Second Language Learning
- Theories to Explaining Second Language Learning
- Factors Affecting Second Language Learning
- The Teaching of English as Second Language
- Traditional Approaches in the Teaching of English as a Second Language
- Syllabus Types in the Teaching of English as a Second Language
- Current Approaches in TESL in the 21st Century Classroom
- Assessing Reading
ESL Assessment and Evaluation
Assessment and evaluation is an important aspect of the education process. In fact, tests are unavoidable in all educational settings.
- Approaches to Language Testing
- Principles of Language Assessment
- Planning and designing the evaluation instrument
- Designing Language Tests
- Assessing Listening
- Assessing Speaking
- Assessing Reading
- Assessing Writing
Anyone can enroll.
Be ready to captivate and produce competent students upon completing the Executive Programme in English Language Teaching with your ability to plan, execute, assess and manage the teaching and learning process competently in ESL.